Have you considered decorative parquet flooring, but haven’t yet committed to the decision because of its perceived high cost?
It’s easy to see why parquet flooring is so desirable, and why this unique style of French flooring is highly sought after. But you might be surprised at how much value it can add to your house.
The term parquet originates from French architecture, and refers to flooring made with small wooden blocks that fit together to create geometric patterns. Traditionally, each piece was cut and fitted by hand and nailed to the subfloor, before being scraped and finished with a coat of varnish.
Typically parquet flooring features geometric patterns in herringbone or mosaic styling. It was highly popular amongst French aristocracy residing in opulent French castles in the 1600’s. Designs and styles from that period also include; Versailles (named after the original castle at Versailles), Chantilly (named after another French castle), checkerboard, mosaic, and basket weave.
Over the years, resplendent homes have continued to feature parquet floors, but Laying Parquet flooring has recently enjoyed a resurgence amongst more modest homes, with an increasing desire among homeowners to use natural materials with traditional craftsmanship methods. Due to this rise in popularity, you can now see parquet flooring laid in entrance halls, living rooms, and dining areas.
When deciding which kind of Parquet Wood Flooring is best for your Twickenham home, you should first take into account your home’s architectural style and age. Wooden parquet floors are available in many different patterns and styles, and Southern Cross Flooring can fit all of the most popular classical designs for you, including Herringbone and Chevron.
- Herringbone – Herringbone flooring consists of equally-sized rectangular blocks, partially staggered in a zig zag arrangement. Pieces are pre-cut to 90° angles at both ends that form a stunning pattern. Herringbone flooring installations are very popular in contemporary homes.
- Chevron – Chevron flooring is cut at 45° angles (as opposed to the 90° of herringbone). The pattern resembles a long string of arrows with the wooden Chevron planks meeting symmetrically. It makes a distinctive impression in any room and is sure to impress anyone who views it. Chevron flooring is often wrongly identified as that of herringbone, and to make it look even more distinct, some variations feature 60° angle cuts instead of 45° ones. The chevron design can form an optical illusion that can make smaller rooms appear larger and more spacious.
Rarely used rooms in your Twickenham home can be transformed into a real feature by opting to install parquet flooring. Guest bedrooms, home offices, and hobby rooms can all be made to look far more grand by laying down a classic parquet.
Traditionally, artisans would construct parquet flooring piece-by-piece, but today the vast majority of parquet flooring on the market is supplied in pre-cut dimensions of thickness, width and length. These blocks can either be made of solid wood or engineered wood, and each block must be glued down to the sub floor by wooden flooring fitters, with care and precision.
Distinct Advantages of Parquet flooring
Two words accurately and succinctly describe parquet flooring – Quality & Style. No other flooring solution on the market can match the beauty of natural timber, and this is why wooden floors are still so desirable to this day.
Custom parquet flooring features individual sections of wood that are assembled in a puzzle-like fashion to form mosaics, motifs, and other intricate designs. Many Hampton based homeowners opt for a herringbone flooring installation to make their rooms look even more characterful. If you choose Parquet flooring for your Twickenham home, you can enjoy the following additional benefits :
- It’s restorable – parquet flooring can easily be sanded and refinished every few years to restore any wear and tear. Restoring parquet floors can make it look new once more, and the procedure can be done multiple times.
- It has everlasting aesthetic appeal – parquet floor installations have long been considered highly desirable, appealing to sophisticated homeowners around the world.
- Environmental sustainability – A stylish eco-friendly choice for those who are environmentally conscious, helping to reduce your home’s carbon footprint.
Parquet is made from real wood and should be laid by experienced professional wooden floor fitters. Expert wood flooring fitters will be able to accurately assess the condition of your room, before choosing the most appropriate method of laying and preparing the floor. All parquet flooring should be glued to the sub floor to help prevent movement. Sub-floor preparation is often as important as the actual fitting of the parquet itself, and can help to ensure that your floor lasts for many years to come.
If you’re a competent DIY enthusiast and are looking for a challenge, you may be tempted to give modern parquet flooring a go. If this is the case we’d highly recommend choosing a simple pattern and choosing prefinished parquet tiles, which are available in a wide range of styles and patterns and are easier to cut and glue into place. The key to success with a DIY project such as this is to source materials from a reputable supplier, one that only provides quality materials.
Parquet Flooring Maintenance
If you view your new parquet flooring installation as an investment for your Hampton home, and afford it with the appropriate level of care and attention it deserves, your parquet flooring will look beautiful for many years to come. Parquet wood can be hand-fitted by our wood flooring fitters who will professionally install your new flooring to a wooden or concrete subfloor. Our fitters use their knowledge, experience and training to ensure a perfect fit, and we’ve teamed up with Wood Connexions to ensure every order is sourced from extremely high quality materials. We’ll carefully measure moisture content and continually inspect your flooring throughout all stages of installation.
The Southern Cross trouble-free installation process ensures that you’ll have a beautiful new floor, and by looking after it correctly, you can help ensure that it lasts for a very long time. Regular sweeping and vacuuming to remove grit, dust and debris is highly recommended. Occasional washing with dedicated solutions and a slightly damp mop is also advised, and felt furniture pads and entrance door mats provide additional protection for your new floor.